Wednesday, March 31, 2010

GIRL POWER!!!

This morning I went to the press screening for "The Runaways."  This is a movie I've been wanting to see ever since I heard it was being made.  I must admit I was skeptical after hearing that Kristen Stewart was cast as Joan Jett.  From a "Twilight" perspective, I didn't think she could pull it off.  Boy was I wrong!  She blew me away.  I've had the pleasure of interviewing Joan Jett several times throughout my radio career, so I know her pretty well.  Stewart had her mannerisms down and even managed to sing pretty well.  She captured the punk rock girl power attitude that Jett is known for.  Chew you up and spit you out. 

Dakota Fanning nailed the character of Cheri Currie.  Naive but sexy, innocent but playful.  She made it edgy and fun.  To quote Peaches, the girls wanna be her.  We saw her rise and fall from the perils of fame.

I was so fired up when I walked out of the theater.  I even got interviewed by someone from CNN and sounded like a blithering idiot because my mind was all a flutter.  Hopefully I made some sense.  At least I had my shades on.  The strangest part of the post-movie experience was when some guy asked me what movie we just saw. Wow, I didn't realize people actually snuck in to those things.

I'm an even bigger fan of Joan Jett and The Runaways now, if that's possible.  Kudos to first time feature director Floria Sigismondi.  She did make some bold decisions throughout the movie that added so much to the depth of the characters and the overall feel of the story itself.  No spoilers here.  But once you see it you will know exactly what I am talking about.

It makes me so happy that Joan Jett is still playing music to this day.  I think after seeing this movie she will have a whole new generation of fans.  I love Rock N Roll!

2 comments:

  1. nice write up. i wasn't too sure about the movie beforehand, but now i'm gonna have to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin - thanks for the review? I've been a HUGE Joan Jett fan since I can remember and I shared your skepticism with Bella the Vampire was cast. I'm glad to hear you loved it can't wait to see it!!!

    ReplyDelete