Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bats Day Weekend recap

Now that I've had a few days to recover from my weekend, I have some time to recap the Bats Day festivities.  For those of you that don't know about Bats Day, it's been happening for over a decade.  It's a day where thousands of people dressed in black (and other colors) converge at the Happiest Place On Earth...Disneyland!  There's a whole weekend of events planned in conjunction with Bats Day.  I missed the fun Friday night but managed to make it to the Black Market for a few hours on Saturday.  There were some cool vendors there with everything from jewelry to clothes to accessories like parasols and hats.  I didn't buy anything though.  I had spent some money the week before on a new outfit for the Dark Park Festival, which happened that night at the official Bats Day Hotel...The Doubletree.  But I'm getting ahead of myself. 

First up...soundcheck. Yes, even DJs have a soundcheck.  That's where we show up and get acquainted with the equipment and work out any problems ahead of time.  I had one of those.  The adaptor from my headphones had accidentally detached from my headphone jack and got left at the last place I DJ'd at.  Grrrrr.....So, at the last minute on Saturday I grabbed an adaptor from an old pair of headphones that I don't use anymore but have just in case I have nothing else, as they are in mono.  I thought...good to go, right?  Wrong.  I plugged in my headphones and yep...one ear.  I was so pissed.  Aren't all Sony adaptors universal?  I thought so but I guess not.  It was a hassle having one ear but I managed to make do.  It's funny because the DJ that played before me didn't have headphones and he asked to borrow mine.  He didn't even care that they weren't working correctly, so that made me feel better.  I am such a perfectionist when it comes to my DJ accessories and when they fail me, it pisses me off.  In the end, it all worked out.  I played a solid 45 minute set and kept the dance floor going the whole time.  Most of these people had never heard me DJ before, so that made me feel pretty good.  Plus, I didn't plan out my set.  Honestly, I rarely do.  I wing it and play to the crowd and requests.  If something isn't working I try something different, unlike some DJs who play what they want to hear.

Then it was time for a visit to the green room.  Lots of booze and great conversation with new people.  Made some interesting contacts that night.  Went back downstairs to hang out a little bit longer.  Then, I called it a night around 11:45pm.  It was hard to get to sleep.  Some people sleep well in hotels.  Not me...I'm all about the pillow and they rarely work for me in hotels.

Woke up after getting a few hours of sleep.  Pulled myself together and took the shuttle over to Disneyland.  Yay...Bats Day!!!  Went to The Rainforest Cafe with Jim, Mark, Lora, Marjy and Mike.  Had a yummy breakfast, although the bacon isn't as good as it used to be.  Then we took the tram to the other side of the park and we began our journey.  Made it to the Castle for the first official Bats Day photo.  Ran into a bunch of people from San Diego.  Then did some more adventures before the Haunted Mansion meet-up and photos.  By 10pm I was pooped and ready to call it a weekend.  Grabbed my stuff from the hotel and drove home.  Made it in record time.  Spent all day Monday getting things back in order.  I got a pretty good night's sleep Monday night.  So, I'm feeling better.

Thanks to Noah for having me DJ the big event over the weekend.  It was great seeing so many people from San Diego there to support me.  Can't wait for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment